Skip to main content

Fort Csillag

Printer-friendly versionSend by emailPDF version
Fort Csillag
Fort Csillag
Fort Csillag

 

The Star Fortress, which evolved from the Saint Peter palisade of the Turkish era, is located opposite the eastern bastion of the Old Castle (Öregvár). Construction works on the fortress were commenced in 1568, under the command of Captain General Miklós Pálffy. By the summer of 1586 the barbicans with a capacity to receive 100 horsemen each had been completed. Their preliminary tasks involved protecting the central fortress from hit-raids, to block ship traffic on the river, to defend the existing bridge and any future pontoon bridges from attack and to serve as base for eventual mounted raids against attackers. Following the Turkish era the fortification system – losing its major defence function – was completely neglected.

In the autumn of 1848 the reconstruction of the fortress was commenced under the command of Ignác Török. The new structure was meant to provide the town with a concentric defence system. The volunteers of Veszprém serving at the fortress successfully averted all efforts of the Imperial Army of the Monarchy to erect a bridge across the river. During the attacks of April 1849 the cannons of the Star Fortress brought all Imperial attacks to a halt. However, on 2 October 1849 – two months after the capitulation at Világos – the fortification system was handed over to the Austrians. The defenders of the fort lined up near the Star Fortress. After laying down their guns in one huge stack, they saluted with tears in their eyes to their captain, György Klapka, who appeared in front of them at 4 p.m. The place of our home defending forces was then taken over by the troops of the Imperial Army.

The fortress was almost completely destroyed in 1850. Between 1850 and 1870, however, it was rebuilt of bricks and stones, constituting the most important element of the new defence system.

The Army of the Monarchy used the building partly as barracks and partly as a storage facility. After 1920 it functioned as ammunition storage facility of the Hungarian Royal Army. Between October and December 1944 the fortress served as collection centre for the deported. After World War II it was first divided into several shelter homes, then converted into a vegetable storage facility.

The typical star shape of the fortress hosts four battery posts open on the inside and fortified by means of stones on the outside. The four posts were connected with a stone wall. The building was surrounded by a deep moat for additional protection. In the middle of the structure an extended octagonal fortress-like barrack is located.

The Star Fortress has been open to visitors since 2005.